The Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said Thursday that rocket attacks from the Gaza Strip toward Israel stopped from 1 a .m. to 9 a.m. local time on Thursday, the longest pause since the violence erupted last week. Israel, however, continued its airstrikes on the Gaza Strip unabatedly, saying it wanted to deter Hamas from future attacks.
Since last week, at least 232 people — including 65 children and 39 women — have been killed by the Israeli airstrikes in the Gaza Strip, according to the Palestinian Ministry of Health. About 1,900 others have been wounded. Meanwhile, at least 10 people — including a soldier and a 6-year-old child — were killed by the rocket attacks in Israel, and three others died from critical injuries they suffered on their way to bomb shelters. Another 348 have been injured, according to Magen David Adom, Israel’s national emergency service.
In a telephone call Wednesday, U.S. President Joe Biden told Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu that he “expected a significant de-escalation today on the path to a cease-fire,” according to the White House. But Netanyahu resisted, saying just hours later that he appreciated “the support of the American president” but that his country would push ahead “to restore calm and security” to its citizens. “I am determined to continue this operation until its aim is met,” Netanyahu told reporters Wednesday after visiting the Israeli military headquarters.